The climate adaptation expert will contribute to the overall work of the adaptation and risk analysis team. The expert will specifically contribute to the development of frameworks and toolkits for analysis of vulnerability and climate risks; the development of a mainstreaming framework for adaptation; and the development of metrics for measuring resilience.
Climate Vulnerability/Risk Analysis and Adaptation:
· Undertake vulnerability profiling at regional and sectoral scales.
· Compile and generate material for developing vulnerability toolkit.
· Identify programmes for mainstreaming adaptation, using climate-risk profiles developed by the team.
· Develop resilience/adaptation metrics.
· Work with institutions in pilot testing frameworks and metrics.
· Communicate with external agencies for data, and scan websites for data pertaining to vulnerability and risk analysis.
· Draft reports, policy briefs, and journal articles.
· Assist in project management as appropriate and work closely with other members of the team, as well as with the adaptation research community in India and abroad through CSTEP’s various engagements and projects.
· Support the team lead in the development of proposals.
· Support the broader activities of CSTEP through development of briefs and other written and verbal communication on various aspects of climate vulnerability/risk and adaptation.
· Perform outreach activities by conducting stakeholder consultations and through participation in workshops and conferences pertinent to the area of work.
A Master’s degree in Climate Science and Policy. A Ph.D. in a related field is desirable.
At least 6-8 years of experience in climate vulnerability/risk and adaptation assessments, and development of training material and manuals.
· Sound knowledge of IPCC climate vulnerability/risk assessment framework and mainstreaming frameworks.
· Experience in developing vulnerability profile at different scales.
· Experience in project coordination and engagement with governments, NGOs, and academicians.
· Good verbal and written communication skills.
· Strong work ethics and discipline.
· Publications in reputed journals.
· Good working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and Power Point).
The selected candidate will be paid a salary as per CSTEP’s norms, and commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience.
How to apply
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Application: Climate Adaptation Expert”, and attach a copy of your updated CV, as well as a cover letter
The climate mitigation lead would provide strategic direction, design programme goals, direct research, and assist in policy engagement and public outreach.
CSTEP has an acknowledged reputation for research in emissions reporting and modelling, where it has made noteworthy policy contributions. Our research is focussed on a) Energy Emissions, and b) Climate Mitigation.
The focus-area-specific responsibilities for this role are as follows:
· Energy Emissions:
· Project India’s long-term emission pathways using various modelling tools, such as computational general equilibrium (CGE), energy systems optimisation (TIMES), and systems dynamics (STELLA).
· Explore the interlinkages between energy, water, food, and land.
· Climate Mitigation:
· Evaluate the policy and technology options to pursue low-carbon pathways (NDC targets as well as long-term transition).
· Explore the sectoral decarbonisation strategies for India.
Other primary responsibilities include:
· Assisting the Sector Head in developing the Climate Mitigation team’s long-term goals. Helping in designing the programme strategy, and developing project proposals to assist in raising funds for the group.
· Providing thought leadership to the team to take the work forward.
· Leading project teams – including designing work plans, guiding research, and ensuring report quality.
· Driving the impact of research by engaging with policymakers and stakeholders, and advocating research findings with a view to inform the policy debate and guide government's strategic direction.
· Playing an active role in outreach by writing in mass media, disseminating research to stakeholders, engaging in capacity building, representing CSTEP in various forums (conferences, workshops, etc.), and building awareness about climate risks and support for mitigation efforts among the wider public.
· A Ph.D. or a Master's degree in Environmental Science/Economics/Engineering, or a related field.
· At least 20 years' work experience.
· A thorough understanding of energy-economy-emissions modelling. Actual modelling experience would be a plus.
· Demonstrated record of lucid analysis and writing.
· Rigour in research, with a focus on policy ideas and impact.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to manage multiple projects, and work under tight deadlines.
· Strong work ethic, timeliness, and discipline.
· Ability to mentor and motivate a large team of able researchers.
The selected candidate will be paid a salary as per CSTEP’s norms, commensurate with the demonstrated skills and experience.
Bengaluru or Noida
How to apply
Please send an email to email@example.com with the subject "Application: Lead – Climate Mitigation”, and attach a copy of your updated CV, as well as a cover letter.
CSTEP works in critical areas such as environment, energy and strategic materials to enable sustainable growth. We are also involved in cutting-edge research that incorporates Artificial Intelligence for social good and computational tools and modelling to provide solutions for complex developmental issues in India.