Solar Energy Research Institute for India and the United States (SERIIUS) is a joint research consortium for clean energy research under the flagship programme - Partnership to Advance Clean Energy (PACE). This was announced by President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in November 2009. The Department of Energy (DOE), U.S., and Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India established a Joint Clean Energy Research and Development Center (JCERDC) in November 2010 to promote clean energy innovation by a consortium of scientists and engineers from India and the United States.
The consortium was primarily set up to accelerate the transition of solar technologies towards high performance, low emissions and for securing energy economies. In India, the consortia partnership is led by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), and in the US the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is the lead institution. While IISc is supported by the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay and Center for Study of Science, Technology and Policy, Bangalore, NREL is supported by Sandia National Laboratories and RAND Corporation US along with several industrial and academic partners.
SERIIUS will develop emerging and revolutionary solar electricity technologies for a long-term success of India’s Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Energy Mission and Department of Energy’s SunShot Initiative. SERIIUS will carry out fundamental and applied research, analysis and assessment, outreach, and workforce development through three research thrusts:
• Sustainable Photovoltaics: Develop next-generation materials, devices, and advanced manufacturing processes tailored to the needs, environment, and resource availability of India and the US.
• Multiscale Concentrated Solar Power: Overcome critical science and engineering challenges for reliable multiscale (including small 25–500 kW) CSP systems.
• Solar Energy Integration: Identify and assess key technical, economic, environmental, and policy barriers, enabling a research agenda for technical readiness in India and to benefit the U.S
• Perform high-impact R&D, analysis, and assessment in PV, CSP, and Solar Energy Integration (SEI).
The key objectives of SERIIUS are to:
• Identify and quantify critical technical, economic, and policy issues for solar energy development/deployment in India
• Establish collaborative project structure and joint intellectual property management
• Develop a vibrant solar workforce for the future* Cultivate effective bi-national collaboration, including collaborative culture and outreach.
For more information, please click here.